Striker Online
Latest News HomepageWICKLOW LEAGUE



A dramatic late winner saw Rathnew AFC reach the Thomas Scott Cup final. The Villagers led 2-0 at Whitegates last Thursday (May 9) at half time with goals by Josh Graham and Michael Anthony Doyle. But after the interval, Patrick O’Keane followed up a saved penalty for Rovers before Jack Crowley equalise. However, with time almost up, Dean Franey headed in the winner off a corner.


Goalkeeper Jamie Curran saved a penalty in the shoot-out before Luke Barry scored the winning spot-kick as Dargle Rovers reached the final of the (Division 3) Charlie Byrne Cup Final. Wesley Keogh, Padraig Devlin and Aaron Brack also converted for the Bray club as they defeated Arklow United 4-3 on penalties after the Semi Final finished 1-1 after extra time last Friday at Bridgewater Centre Park. Kyle Dowling had headed Arklow in front in the first period. But James Keogh levelled for the away team by half time.

Then on Sunday, holders Dearg Celtic claimed a late winner to move to within 90 minutes of retaining the silverware.

The Redcross side led 1-0 at the interval at the Vartry Grounds through John Andrew Kinsella’s effort. But Roundwood AFC’s player/boss Damien Johnson equalised after the turnaround. With extra time just moments away Kinsella’s 22nd goal of the season sent the champions into the decider.


Ashford Rovers’ grasp on the Andy McEvoy Premier Division looks to have been loosened a little after they lost a seven-goal thriller with against Glencormac United on Sunday to fall to their first league loss this season

After a score-less first half at Ryder’s Field, the Kilmac outfit raced into a 3-0 lead with scores by James Delahunty, Dean McCormack and Nathan Watters. United keeper Gabor Radoczy saved a penalty at 2-0. Danny Byrne, Brendan Manning and Shane Dunne squared it for Ashford with a fine rally. Right on full-time, Simon Doyle volleyed in a late winner for the Glens.

On Thursday last, St. Peter’s overcame Glencormac United by a 3-1 score-line at the Temple Sportsfield in Bray to move nine points clear of the chasing pack.

Jamie Kelly, Killian O’Carroll and Rian Greene rippled the net for the Darglesiders. Nathan Watters replied for the Kilmac outfit.

The same evening, referee Carl Doyle declared the light too bad to play on and abandoned Ashford Rovers and Newtown United.

The tie was the Matt Kelly Memorial Grounds was tied at 1-1 with 11 minutes to go when the match official called time. Danny Byrne and Neuilly Martin had exchange scores. The matter now goes before the Wicklow League Ex4ecituve to let the result stand to replay the game in its entirety.


Conary United regained pole position in Division 3 when they defeated Shamrock Celtic on Sunday at Rooster Park.

Goals by Andy Doyle (2), Andy Kennedy (2), Declan Breslin, Eamon Kennedy and Eoin Murtagh gave the Avoca side a 7-2 success. Aidan Small and Colin Cassidy replied for ‘Celtic.

Ashford Rovers are up to third place after they picked up a walk-over from their scheduled fixture at Ballinalea Park against Aughrim Rangers.

On Wednesday May 8 last, Ashford came from 1-0 down to defeat Shamrock Celtic 2-1.

The home side took the lead at Finn Park in Kilcoole through Colin Cassidy. But Chris Sillery picked up an early wedding present by notching a double for Rovers to seal the points.


Wicklow Town AFC reclaimed top spot in the Youth Shield as they got the better of local rivals Wicklow Rovers 5-1 last Friday at Finlay Park.

Leading 3-1 at the break, Nicky Flood (2), Conor Collier, Jack Colaluca and Scott Sheridan

were on the scoresheet for the hosts who moved two points ahead of Avonmore FC. But having played two games more. Thomas O’Neill had drawn Rovers level at 1-1 in the first half. 

By Paul Dowling

Related posts

Late, late own goal sends Saints into Scott cup decider

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott