Striker Online
Latest News HomepageWICKLOW LEAGUE

Turner thwarts Saints with triple salvo of saves in Bishop Cup penalty shootout



Goalkeeper Kenneth Turner was the penalty shoot-out hero as Newtown lifted the Charlie Bishop Cup for the fourth year in a row.

He saved three dead-balls to thwart St. Peter’s as United won the spot-kick’s 3-2 on Sunday at Ferndale Park in Arklow.

The Magpies had looked set for victory after talking the lead through Dillon Carthy midway through the second half. But the Bray side forced extra time when striker Chad Ryan headed to the net three minutes deep into stoppage time.

In the penalties, Tony Harris and Dean Fletcher slotted in the Saints first two efforts. Dillon Carty and Sean Heffernan did likewise for Newtown.

Turner stopped Jamie Kelly’s attempt before Dean Odlum netted for the Black and Whites.

The United custodian then denied Niall Vaughan. However, with the chance to win it, Eoin Fox saved Ross Davis’ penalty. Yet, Turner then smothered Daniel McCann’s spot-kick to seal victory.

The result means that Newtown can still make it a clean sweep of the major Wicklow League silverware.

They are battling St. Peter’s for the Andy McEvoy Premier title (along with Ashford Rovers) and are in the last four of the Wicklow Cup.

Remarkably, the two teams had met just 72 hours earlier at the Little Bray Community Centre – with the Magpies winning the Jim McLaughlin Premier Trophy Semi Final 2-1.

But this was a game that the Bray outfit will look back and feel they left behind. 

Jake Kane rattled the cross-bar after 23 minutes. Five minutes before the interval, skipper Kelly linked with Harris before curling narrowly wide.

In the 57th minute, Ross Davis’ goal-line clearance thwarted Harris’ bicycle-kick after Turner had punched Killian O’Carroll’s corner.

Against the run of play, Newtown hit the front in 63 minutes.

From Turner’s long punt, Shane Doyle laid off to Odlum, His through ball saw two St. Peter’s defenders shadowed it back to Fox. But Dillon Carthy chased it down with a defensive mix-up up leaving the reigning Wicklow League Young player of the year with an open goal.

Just as it seemed all done and dusted, the Bray club levelled three minutes in time added on.

Sub Rian Greene drilled across from the right. Harris kept the ball in play and squared to McCann who whipped in a ball from the left. And Ryan stooped to his head in his 17th of the season to force extra time.

ST. PETER’S FC: Eoin Fox; Darren McAteer, Dean Fletcher, Alan Curran, Daniel McCann; Jake Kane, Noel Stephens, Jamie Kelly, Killian O’Carroll; Chad Ryan, Tony Harris SUBS: Ryan Greene (for Kane 54 mins), Niall Vaughan (for Darren McAteer 72 mins), Rory Adamson (for Ryan 98 mins), Sean McAteer, Ryan Wogan, Keane Keating (all not used).

NEWTOWN UNITED A: Kenneth Turner; Brandon Feely, PJ Dowling, Glenn Carthy, Neilly Martin; Ross Davis; Shane Doyle, Sean Heffernan, Evan Moran, Dillon Carthy; Dean Odlum. SUBS: Karl Carthy (for Doyle 87 mins), Oisin Greenan (for Glenn Carthy 100 mins), Barry Davis, Aaron Byrne, Luke Martin, Lee Fitzpatrick, Stuart Synnott (all not used).

REFEREE: Michael Kennedy. ASSISTANTS: Carl Doyle, Jason Redmond.


Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott

Eamon Scott