Striker Online



By John Hudson

A SLIGHTLY more experienced Rathmines College side had little difficulty coming out on top in this South City Derby encounter in a Colleges FAI Bob Eustace cup first round tie against lower division opponents Pearse College Crumlin at Larkview FC, Whelan Park.

The score line maybe a little flattering to Rathmines who had trailed to an early Pearse goal and although they did get well on top after that with the help of a couple of fortunate goals they only held a four goal advantage at the break.

Pearse ‘keeper Adam O’Brien who had experienced a torrid time in the first half recovered his composure on the resumption and went on to perform heroics making a string of brilliant saves which looked like helping Pearse to keep Rathmines scoreless until late goals put a gloss on the scoreline.

However, fatigue took its toll late in the game and Rathmines finished the stronger side going on to hit four more goals and registering a well-deserved victory.

A second round meeting with the winners of the Dundalk IT ‘B’ v Bray Institute tie now awaits Aidan Roche’s side in their bid for silverware this season after they missed out on a place in knockout stages of league division three.

While the Crumlin side who had mixed fortunes in division four of the league are now destined to continue their season in the Eustace Plate where they can look forward to visiting the loser of that Dundalk IT ‘B’ v Bray Institute game.

A fine opening goal from the impressive Ahmed Khalid Ali in the second minute heralded the prospect of Pearse handing out a shock cup win to the home side.

Unfortunately, that proved to be a false dawn for the visitors as Rathmines were quick to get back on track and Jethro Mande took advantage of some sloppy defending to fire Rathmines level.

Richard Idowu then had a close range effort deflected for a corner by Pearse ‘keeper O’Brien as Rathmines piled on the pressure.

It wasn’t long before the experienced Brian Sofola began to impose himself on the game and after he picked up a pass on the left, he cut past a couple of defenders to beat O’Brien with a low drive for the first of his four-goal haul.

Centre back Lee Corcoran then got on the score sheet to put Rathmines 3-1 ahead with a speculative effort from the halfway line that sailed straight into the Pearse net with O’Brien off his line and helpless to prevent.

Santago Galati went close to pulling a goal back for Pearse with a well-stuck free kick that shaved the Rathmines post.

Sofola then helped himself to two more goals both of the fortunate variety to see Rathmines finish the half holding a comfortable 5-1 advantage.

Far from being undaunted Pearse came out for the second half determined to battle on and thanks to some superb saves from goalkeeper O’Brien they managed to prevent Rathmines adding any further goals until the last quarter.

Sofola, a thorn in their side all afternoon struck again for goal number six and wing back Qudus Lawal got in on the scoring adding a seventh after a great run down the right wing.

Abdulla Alkader and Corcoran completed the Rathmines scoring in the closing minutes while Scott Mates converted a penalty for a consolation second Pearse goal.

RATHMINES COLLEGE: Boaz Ninan Samuel; Richard Idowu, Aristot Tambidila, Lee Corcoran, Qudus Lawal; Kevin Lisimba, Sean Martin; Brian Sofola, Daragh Moore, Jack Colgan; Jethro Mande. Subs all used: Tommy Duff, Sheldan Matans, Vemi Adebsin, Richmond Uzoma, Abdulla Alkader.

PEARSE COLLEGE: Adam O’Brien; Adam Notaro, Cian Byrne, Eoin Weafer, Josh Quigley; Ahmed Khalid Ali, Ian Lynch, Santago Galati, Patrick Furlong; Clarence Konzo, Lee Cunningham. Subs: Mikey Lanigan, Mark Cooney Robinson, Scott Mates, Dillane Kasisi, Victor Ajayi, Seamus O’Connor, Calvin Rogers.

Referee: Eddie Reilly.

Related posts

FAI Board welcomes announcement on future of Irish football

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott