Striker Online

Rampant Rangers hit Celts for six


Cup Semi finals were all the soccer action this weekend first up Leitrim’s Manor Rangers at home in the Bee Park Manorhamilton to Ballymote Celtic in the Glasshouse Hotel Cup.

League form indicated a home win and Manor Rangers were in no mood for that to change. Twenty-five minutes into the game and Brian Mc Donald opened the account for Manor Rangers and ten minutes later Seamus Ryder added the second goal that seen the home side comfortably ahead by two goals to nil at the break.

Eight minutes into the second half and from the penalty spot Aaron Hickey added the third goal for Manor Rangers this in fact killed the game as a contest for the Manor Boys were on a roll Ruadhan Feeney added the fourth goal on sixty two minutes and six minutes later Seamus Ryder netted again to make it five nil and twelve minutes from time Luke Tansey completed the job hitting the sixth goal for a rampant Manor Rangers who will contest the final on Sunday the 14th April.

Their opponents will be Carbury FC they battled for their place in the Final against the formidable Aughanagh Celtic at Ballinafad. Aughanagh Celtic took the lead on fourteen minutes with Conor Mc Padden firing them into a lead that they held just until the stroke of half time when Mark Mc Goldrick brought Carbury level.

Both sides went in search of that all elusive goal and on sixty minutes Carbury took the lead a beautiful ball into the box seen the towering Steve Feeney lurking on the back post and he headed home that all important goal. More drama when referee Paul Kilcoyne showed a Red Card to Gerry Brennan of Carbury and one sensed perhaps a fight back for Aughanagh but Carbury held firm Then two minutes from the end Ross Mc Loughlin scored the goal of the game weaving his way through the Aughanagh rear-guard to smash home the goal that wrapped up a Final spot for Carbury FC.

In the Cleary Landscape’s and Pitch Maintenance Cup Semi Final Coolaney United were at home to North Sligo Trail blazers Cliffoney Celtic. This was a tight affair throughout with the only goal of the game coming midway through the first half courtesy of Alan Gregg who nipped in that the far post to clip home what in the end proved to be the winning goal for a jubilant Cliffoney Celtic.

Their opponents would be either Real Tubber or Cartron United this game was played on the Astro at Cleveragh. Cartron leading the pack in the league Real Tubber mid table could Real Tubber pull off a Giant Killing act or would Cartron maintain their domestic unbeaten record all to play for at stake a Cup Final Place against Cliffoney Celtic.

This game had it all passion, extra time and a goal and sending off’s but what a game we had. Real Tubber and Cartron played out normal time with no score and then we entered into extra time. Real Tubber earned a corner kick with a minute remaining and Mark Burke rose highest to connect with a bullet of a header that in the end proved to be the winning goal. But more drama unfolded just before the end with Fergal Mc Donagh of Real Tubber receiving a Red Card and now misses the final, while John Harte of Cartron United also received a red card for retaliation and misses his next two league games. But the dust is now settled and what a final we have in store North versus South The might of Real Tubber from the fighting South against the battling North Sligo Kingpins Cliffoney Celtic two very talent sides a game not to be missed.

Results Sunday 24th March

Cup Semi Finals

Glasshouse Hotel Cup   

5 Aughanagh Celtic 1 – 3 Carbury FC
6 Manor Rangers 6 – 0 Ballymote Celtic

Cleary Landscapes Cup

C Real Tubber 1 – 0 Cartron Utd
D Coolaney Utd 0 – 1 Cliffoney Celtic

Related posts

Wexford Football League

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott