Striker Online


Crettyard come from behind to make history in by qualifying for first ever LFA Junior Cup final


Crumlin United 1 Crettyard United 2 (AET)

CRETTYARD UNITED came from behind to secure their place in the Leinster Junior Cup Final, making history as the first side to play their football in Carlow to qualify for the showpiece event.

Crettyard dominated the early stages of the game. The first real chance of the game fell to Aaron Morris eight minutes in. Colin Osborne intercepted a Crumlin goal kick and set up Morris who came in from the left but shot wide from the edge of the box.

Crumlin fought back as Gingi Aki forced Jeff Moran into a save. They kept pushing as Leon Foley’s free was deflected wide and Aki shot wide from the resulting corner from the left.

Crettyard had a glorious chance to go ahead 20 minutes in as Niall Purcell’s corner from the right was played short to Cristoir Maher who crossed in from the right. Ger Murray got his head onto the ball which deflected into the path of Osborne who shot but it was saved by Adam Kenny in the Crumlin goal as he palmed the shot over the bar.

Crumlin fought back three minutes alter with Aki’s shot going narrowly over the bar from distance before Foley drove his free over the bar.  However, in the 32nd minute he made no mistake converting from the middle. Crettyard didn’t let this get them down and kept pressing, two minutes later, Purcell’s cross from the right found Osborne in the middle but his flying header went wide.

Callum Keane shot over seven minutes from time for Crumlin. On the stroke of half-time, Jason Enright was brought down in the box. Dowling converted the resulting spot kick.

Crumlin came out fighting in the second half and Crettyard had to survive but missed glorious chances that could have ended things earlier. Five minutes in, Foley’s shot was saved by Moran before he shot over the bar two minutes later.

The best chance of the game fell to Crettyard ten minutes in. Maher played Lee Salter through on goal and 1 on 1 with Kenny, shot over the bar. Twenty minutes from time, Aki found his shot saved. A minutes later, Morris was brought down in the box and Dowling once again stepped up for the spot kick but this time, Kenny saved it onto the post with the follow up shot being shot over.

Crumlin possibly should have taken the lead when Keane crossed from the right with Dowling having slipped, but nobody was at the back post to finish. Into injury time and Salter found himself through on goal but squared to Maher whose shot was cleared.

In extra time, it took six minutes for Salter to convert from the left to send Crettyard through to the final.


Crumlin United: Adam Kenny, Ian Cowzer, David Dempsey, Calvin Rogers, Kyle Dunphy, Conor Mooney, Callum Keane, Dylan Whelan, Leon Foley, Gingi Aki, Chris Shassle. Subs: Sean O’Connor, Shane Hyland, Gavin McArdle, Mark Kelly, Adam Carey, Johnstone O’Donohue.

Crettyard United: Jeff Moran, James Sherwood, Craig Comerford, Bobby Dowling, Ger Murray, Jason Enright, Niall Purcell, Colin Osborne, Lee Salter, Cristoir Maher, Aaron Morris. Subs: Luke Maher, James Rothwell, Anthony FitzPatrick, Conor Mulhall, Shane Buggy, Evan Phillips, Pierce Nash, John Graham, Seamus Dowling.

Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott

Six-goal reply puts Puskas Hagi in their place as normal service returns

Eamon Scott