Striker Online


The Sligo Leitrim DSL got off to a flyer this weekend and after the first round of games its MCR who top the table on goal difference with a resounding win at Sean Fallon Park against Ballisodare United in the Southern Hotel Sligo Super League.

MCR took the lead a minute from the break when ex Ballisodare united striker Keith Gilmartin right footed a cracker of a goal.

The second half was sixty minutes old when Ciaran Harvey added the second for MCR and five minutes later Ballisodare United Gary Cavanagh received his marching orders and from the resulting free kick Gary Rooney planted the third goal for MCR. Ten minutes from time and Kaillum Burns scored the fourth for MCR and a minute later Darragh Healy pulled one back for Ballisodare United.

Cartron United were at home in Mac Sharry Park against current champions Carbury FC. Ten minutes into the game and Ryan Mc Manus opened his account giving Carbury the lead. On twenty-five minutes Cartron drew level when Enda Mc Gowan fired home then with five minutes remaining of the first half Carbury were awarded a penalty from a deliberate hand ball by Gavin Sweeney that seen him receive his marching orders and Aaron Murrin firing home the resulting spot kick.

Cartron United rallied really well but playing with only ten men was a big call against a team the calibre of Carbury and fourteen minutes from time Ryan Mc Manus finished the game off with his second goal of the game and Carbury got off on a winning note.

Leitrim Kingpins Manorhamilton Rangers won by the odd goal in three away to a gallant St Johns. Both sides were level at the break and remained that way till ten minutes into the second half when Shane Walsh put Manor ahead. St Johns continued to attacked and ten minutes later ex Benbulben FC hitman Anthony Moylette scored the equaliser for St Johns.

The game appeared to be heading for a draw but with a minute remaining Wesley Feeney in a gallant attempt to clear the danger scored an own goal that seen all three points in the Leitrim bag.

Strand Celtic entertained Aughanagh Celtic on Friday night at Strandhill with both sides sharing the spoils. After five minutes Strand nearly opened the scoring when Daniel Gray Harrigan finished just wide when one on one with the Aughanagh keeper.

The visitors came in to the game with Luca Roddy and Connor Deery causing plenty of problems for the Strand offence. However just before half-time Strandhill missed a great opportunity when Ben Spelman seen his penalty saved by the Aughanagh keeper. 

After the break a very fit and determined Aughanagh started to get on top and were rewarded when Connor Mc Padden finished to the net after a low cross into the box on seventy-five minutes. However, Strand dug deep and equalised through a 25-yard volley from Ben Spelman to give a deserved share of the spoils. Strand were reduced to ten men near the end when Daniel Gray Harrigan was red carded for foul and abusive language.

Glenview Stars under the watchful eye of Manager Joseph Ndo welcomed north Sligo side Cliffoney Celtic to Forthill with the visitors winning by the odd goal in three. Glenview Stars were a goal down at the break courtesy of an own goal from Alan Collum and they went further adrift five minutes into the second half when Alan Harrison netted the second goal for Cliffoney Celtic.

Stars despite this continued to attack and Joseph Ndo brought on Conor Rushe that helped increase the threat up front and twenty minutes from time Wayne Hanney pulled a goal back for Stars. Cliffoney Celtic defence however stood solid and, in the end, emerged victors in what both clubs will see as a very informative game.

The Sligo Pallets Premier League seen the return of Yeats United and Calry Bohs to the league and what a start they made.

The Carney boys from the Yeats Country travelled to Gurteen Celtic and they hit the hosts for six. Luke Armstrong and Donal Fidgeon both hitting two goals apiece Lorcan Long and Caoileann Long adding a goal each. The score line may well suggest a one-sided encounter but it was indeed far from that.

Gurteen Celtic scored once on sixty minutes had a penalty saved by P J Carty in the Yeats goals and indeed Carty took off a string of brilliant saves that for a lesser keeper might well have been a different story so well done to both sides.

Chaffpool United welcomed Calry Bohs to Bunninadden and the hosts were two goals up after twenty minutes thanks to sharp shooter Hughie Marren. Calry Bohs settled in and pulled a goal back minutes later through Mamoud Mansaray and Mark Hynes levelled just before the break. The second half seen Mamoud Mansaray complete his hat trick with a goal from play and a penalty kick to boot while David Devaney added the fifth goal for a jubilant Calry Bohs.

Real Tubber were fast out of the blocks away to Ballygawley Celtic three goals up at the break with a double strike from Eoin Walsh and the third goal from Jack Walsh. Ballygawley Celtic came back into the game twelve minutes into the second half when Ryan Walsh netted but Real Tubber remained in control and late on Ronan Forkin added the fourth goal for winners Real Tubber.

Riverstown Boys, Arrow Harps journeyed to the Showgrounds Carrick On Shannon and emerged victors by the odd goal in three. The Town took the lead and Cian Mc Dermott with an excellent header levelled matters for Harps. Early in the second half a blistering shot from Cian Kilcoyne was finger tipped onto the crossbar and Niall Whelan was in like a flash to hit the back of the net and seal the points for Arrow Harps.

No Results €50 Fine:

Cartron United and Carrick Town.


All Red Cards issued today see’s an Automatic One Match Suspension for the players next game fined €30 payable within 7 days to League Treasurer Robert Kennedy 69 Cloondara Ballisodare Co. Sligo.

Following the referees match report fines and suspensions may be increased.


Friday 6th Sept

Sligo Southern Hotel Super League

Strand Celtic FC 1 – 1 Aughanagh Celtic  

Sunday 8th Sept

Sligo Southern Hotel Super League

Cartron United 1 – 3 Carbury FC  
MCR FC 4 – 1 Ballisodare Utd  
St Johns FC 1 – 2 Manorhamilton Rangers  
Glenview Stars FC 1 – 2 Cliffoney Celtic  

Sligo Pallets Premier League

Gurteen Celtic FC 1 – 6 Yeats United FC
Carrick Town FC 1 – 2 Arrow Harps FC
Ballymote Celtic FC P – P Coolaney United FC
Ballygawley Celtic FC 1 – 4 Real Tubber FC
Chaffpool United FC 2 – 5 Calry Bohemians FC  

Sunday 15th Sept KO 11am

Sligo Southern Hotel Super League

Merville Utd v Cartron United Emma Cleary
Manor Rangers v Cliffoney Celtic Tomas Oates
Aughanagh Celtic v St Johns FC Stephen Fallon
Ballisodare Utd v Strand Celtic FC Paul Kilcoyne
Carbury FC v MCR FC Owen Mc Loughlin

Sligo Pallets Premier League
Calry Bohemians FC v Gurteen Celtic FC Glen Gilmartin
Real Tubber v Chaffpool United FC Colm Gunning
Coolaney Utd v Ballygawley Celtic FC John Griffin
Arrow Harps v Ballymote Celtic FC Stuart Rutherford
Yeats United FC v Carrick Town FC Ralph Zoschke

All results by 1.30pm after game to 087 1417566 Home team responsible for calling in
match result with all scorers. Where a ground is deemed unplayable the home team can if
possible provide another approved venue otherwise the game must revert to the opponent’s

Where both grounds are unplayable the two teams concerned can agree fixture for
approved Astro if available, and split the costs 50/50.

Home Team responsible to provide at
least Four (4) Match Balls for all Home fixtures. In Frank Kennedy Cup Final after expenses
gate receipts are split 50/50 with both clubs.

All Cup games decided on the day if still a draw
after 90 minutes plus one period of E/T (10mins E/W) FIFA Rules on penalty’s to decide.

Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott

FAI announce Science in Sport as Official Sports Nutrition partner

Eamon Scott