FAI News LATEST NEWS Latest News Homepage LSL

Maynooth overcome Crumlin storm to book away date with Malahide United



THE MUCH anticipated FAI Intermediate Cup clash between last season’s defeated finalist Crumlin United and Maynooth University Town the side they had overcome on their way to the Aviva decider this time went the way of the Co Kildare boys at Pearse Park.

Forced to face the stormy conditions in the opening half Maynooth delivered an early shock to their hosts with just over 15 minutes on the clock.


Defender Conor Dunne silenced the big home crowd when he met a clearance from Jake Corrigan’s corner to unleash a stunning volley from just inside the box that flew past goalkeeper Mikey Quinn. 

Crumlin might have gone in front themselves as early as the first minute when the wind caught Quinn’s clearance and Maynooth ‘keeper David Sterio was forced to scramble the ball clear with Liam Brady in close attendance.

Maynooth continued to contain the Crumlin attacks helped by sterling work from Mark Colgan and Niall Corrigan in midfield and solid defending from their back four.   

Crumlin’s dangerman Jake Donnelly had a couple of half chances but he failed to hit the target until they finally got themselves back on terms with ten minutes of the half remaining.

A well delivered in swinging corner from Liam Brady was met by Craig Walsh at the far post and he managed to head the ball past a ruck of defenders and just over the line.

At this point Storm Denis arrived with a vengeance to Pearse Park and referee John McCarthy took the players off for a short period.

A determined Crumlin responded well in the second half and Donnelly looked likely to grab the equaliser when he was set up by Jamie Hollywood’s through pass but a great saving tackle from Alex Kelly kept out the Crumlin striker.

However it was Maynooth who once again rocked the hosts by going ahead for the second time.

Another set piece worked out well for the visitors when Corrigan’s corner was headed past Quinn by Colgan ten minutes in.

Maynooth came close to increasing the lead when a swift counter attack from a Crumlin corner saw Conor Foley get clear on goal but Quinn was quickly off his line to block the finish.

Back came Crumlin and Sterio was twice called upon to keep out clear chances from Liam Brady and Walsh while Hollywood blazed a good effort well over.

Substitute Daniel Burke went on to seal Maynooth’s deserved win in the closing minutes with a glacing header from Corrigan’s cross that took a deflection off a defender to make it 3-1 and set up a quarter final tie against Malahide United at Gannon Park.

The win will provide a welcome boost for Maynooth boss Declan Hanney who was forced to miss the game having been hospitalised with his assistant Shane Harte tasking charge for the day. 

CRUMLIN UNITED: Michael Quinn; Garreth Brady, David Fagan, Blair Mandiangu, Jack Memory; Jamie Hollywood, Tony Grffiths; Craig Walsh, Conor Murphy, Liam Brady; Jake Donnelly.
Subs: Stephen Larkin (for L Brady 79), James Lee (for Hollywood 86). Not used Callum Rogers, Alan Barrett, Thomas Hyland, Sean McSweeney, Mark O’Connor.

MAYNOOTH UNIVERSITY TOWN: David Sterio; Darragh Gannon, Conor Dunne, Alex Kelly, Jake Corrigan;  Mark Colgan, Niall Lanigan; Jack Bayley, Conor Foley, Cillian Duffy; Jackson Ryan. Subs: Darragh Deegan (for Bayley 56), Sven Biansumba (for Lanigan 72), Conor Mooney (for Deegan 83), Daniel Burke (for Ryan 88). Not used: Gary Daly, Leon Kennedy, Shane Fagan.

Referee: John McCarthy. Assistants: Paul Tuite, Eddie Reilly.

Related posts

So Hotels Women’s National League Player of the Month nominees

Eamon Scott

Quinlan strike creates Carlow SFAI history as Hanover claim Evans Cup

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott