Striker Online
Latest News HomepageWICKLOW LEAGUE

Late, late own goal sends Saints into Scott cup decider

AVONMORE FC…………………………………………… 1


A 90th minute Own Goal sent St. Anthony’s into the (Division 1) Thomas Scott Cup Final.

With extra time looming at Pat O’Toole Park in Rathdrum on Sunday morning, the Kilcoole side came from behind to snatch a dramatic late Semi Final winner.

Emmet Kenna whipped in a cross the left-wing. Patrick Woods was in an offside position. But several yards away from James Byrne whose touch diverted the ball into his own net.

However, the flag went up for offside by Assistant Referee Paul Murphy.

Referee Michael Kennedy consulted with his official and allowed the goal to stand that although the St. Anthony’s player was offside, he was deemed not to be interfering with play.

That prompted home player Eugene Dunne to protest the decision with the referee who booked him. The protests continued which led to a red card for the full-back.

After the final whistle, several players came together – near the officials – with hands being raised. Amazingly, when several red cards were warranted – none were forthcoming.

The result means the Saints will now meet Rathnew AFC – at Pat O’Toole Park (the finals traditional venue) – after the Villagers edged out Wicklow Rovers 3-2 in the other Semi Final on Thursday (May 9) last.

But it didn’t look that way as the Rathdrum outfit bossed the opening proceedings.

They were awarded a 15th minute penalty when Callum Pursey was pulled back in the box by Emmet Kenna. But away custodian Robert McNamee saved Pursey’s spot-kick.

Yet, Pursey registered his 14th goal of the season five minutes later. From Cian O’hAnnáin’s incisive pass into the box, Mark Cullen cleverly dummied. That allowed the on-rushing Pursey to burst between two defenders and fire low to the net from 15-yards.

The two teams are already promoted from the Pat O’Toole Division 1 to the Andy McEvoy Premier 1 which Avonmore champions-elect bar Rathnew stopping them.

The Black and Yellow’s had beaten the Goosebankers 11-2 and 5-3 in the two league meetings this season.

It didn’t look good for the Kilcoole outfit who were without top-scorer and former Wicklow League player of the year Darren Collopy.

But he was joined on 15 goal for the campaign by strike partner Patrick Woods on the half hour. From Kyle O’Reilly’s ball in from the left, Woods arched his right boot to send the ball back to the net at the from post from eight yards.

AVONMORE FC: Jason Porter; Eugene Dunne, Paddy Kennedy, Dan Byrne,  Darren Beevor; Callum Pursey, Kaelin Broughan, James Byrne, Adam Tuke; Cian O’hAnnáin, Mark Cullen.

SUBS: Ryan Cahill (for O’hAnnáin 63 mins), Johnny Arthur (for Cullen), Dean Gahan (for Beevor) (both 76 mins), Paul Gahan, Ger Byrne, Jack Meaney, Michael O’Dea (all not used).

ST. ANTHONY’S KILCOOLE UNITED FC: Robbie McNamee; Stephen Hunt, Stafford Quaid, Mick Rooney, Emmet Kenna; Declan Roper, Larry Kenna, Lee Dutton, Kyle O’Reilly; Dan Lacey, Patrick Woods.

SUBS: Philip Doyle (for Lacey 90 + 4 mins), Charlie Maguire, Shane Creagh, Craig Meehan, Darren Collopy (all not used).

REFEREE: Michael Kennedy. ASSISTANTS: Carl Doyle, Paul Murphy.

By Paul Dowling

Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott

Lazio lord in at Tibradden with five goal haul to send gallant Dundrum home pointless

Eamon Scott