Latest News Homepage

Injury hit Bray battle the odds to see off Griffith College to book semi-final date



Manager Emeka Onwubiko hailed the injury hit Bray Institute side after they battled against all the odds to claim a 3-1 win over Griffith College at Pearse Park and book a place in the Colleges and Universities League Division Four semi final. 

The seasiders had travelled to Crumlin with the bare eleven players and they were reduced to ten men coming up to the hour when full back Jake Brown Roche was forced to retire with a knee injury.


That came on top of a necessary half time swap when centre back Craig Adamson who had been down twice with heavy knocks exchanged jerseys with goalkeeper Ryan McGuirk and bravely continued between the posts for the second half with McGuirk slotting into the back four.

Bray had the benefit of the strong wind in the opening half and they made full use of the elements by taking a 2-0 lead at the break.

Patrick Walker hit the first from the penalty spot on 20 minutes after Adamson’s drive from a Gavin Goodwin corner was kept out by a Griffith defender’s arm.

It was mostly one way traffic for the remainder of the half and ten minutes from the break Bray not surprisingly stretched their advantage.

Walker broke free on the left and after the Griffith ‘keeper Luke Jennings had blocked the Bray man’s shot and a follow up second from Adamson the ball fell nicely for Walker again and he drilled his effort high into the top corner of the Griffith goal.

Griffith were missing the presence of Cabinteely FC defender Conor Keely through injured and they had a limited amount of chances in the opening half with Martin Moller Rocke and Ronith Jain both well off target with their efforts.

Bray’s switch around of goalkeepers and the wind advantage looked likely to give Griffith every chance of getting back into the game after the break and when Bray were then reduced to ten men their prospects further improved.

But they were unable to take any advantage as a battling Bray came back to grab a third goal shortly after loosing Brown Roche.

Another well delivered Goodwin corner from the left was headed home by Mark Mullen to put in a very strong position.

Griffith piled on the pressure in an effort to salvage something  from their season and Martin Janelsith and Dannesh Bissoo both went close  before Moller Rocke availed of a missed clearance by stand in ‘keeper Adamson and steered the ball into the empty net.

Jesse Agabana then crashed a close range drive off the Bray upright in an effort to grab a second but it was all too late as referee Tommy Traynor called time and Bray took the spoils and now go on to visit DCU ‘C’ in next week’s semi final tie.

Manager Onwubiko was full of praise for his side saying
‘We defied all the odds to get through to the last four it’s a huge achievement considering we were down to the bare bones. I can’t praise the lads enough its been a great season so far and hopefully it will continue’.

GRIFFITH COLLEGE DUBLIN: Luke Jennings; Ronith Jain, Dannesh Bissoo, Hugo Faughan, James Merriman; Jesse Agabana, Itagi Pemhiwa; Martin Janelsith, Miney Soro, Nazir Shuaibu; Martin Moller Rocke.
Subs: Benjman Day (for Bissoo 65), Paul Hynes (for Shuaibu 75). Not used: Odinaka Ngoka, Paul Walsh.

BRAY INSTITUTE OF FE: Ryan McGuirk; Gavin Goodwin, Craig Adamson, Jordan Conroy, Jake Brown Roche; Callum McNulty, Stewart Nolan; Antonio Moraru, Mark Mullen, Patrick Walker; Shane Lincoln.

Referee: Tommy Traynor. Assistants: Tom Roche, Andy Kavanagh.   

Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott

FAI confirms John Delaney will attend Oireachtas meeting

Eamon Scott