Striker Online

Home comfort rules with the exception of Cork who land late KO blow to Hoops


A BUSY evening of quarter final ties in the FAI Mark Farren Under 17 Cup saw three out of the four home sides make it through to the semi finals.

Bray Wanderers, Kerry League and St Patrick’s Athletic all registered convincing home wins while the exception was at the Roadstone Academy where Cork City scored a late extra time winner to knock out Shamrock Rovers.

Luke Desmond had given Cork the lead in first half stoppage time and the visitors held this advantage until Conan Noonan’s super strike pulled the Hoops level with just over seven minutes remaining.


The extra time produced plenty of drama as Cork went ahead again after Dave Cremin was on had to touch the ball in when   Uniss Karghol cross came off the post.  

A late Rovers equaliser from Jan Brozowski looked to be setting up a penalty shoot out but Cork still had time to bounce back and clinch the win with seconds remaining when Rob Walsh fired his free kick into the top corner of the Rovers net.

Cork will have to travel again in the semi final to face Kerry League in a mouth watering all Munster derby at Mounthawk Park Tralee.

The Kerry side had little difficulty accounting for a disappointing Galway United  on a 4-1 scoreline.

Colin Walsh hit two first half goals for the home side and two more after the break from Daniel Okwute and Cian Brosnan sealed the win.
An out of sorts Galway did manage a late consolation goal from Oleg Vysochan.

After loosing out to Bohemians in both of their league games this season St Patrick’s Athletic surprised their visitors by gaining a well deserved 2-0 win at Richmond Park.

A reasonable attendance which included St Pat’s owner Garret Kelleher, first team boss Harry Kenny and several board members saw the home side go ahead on 13 minutes.

Good play by Ben McCormack on the left set up Darragh Burns to cut into the box and his well stuck finish left Bohs ‘keeper Kian Lacchia helpless to keep out.

Aaron Doran thought he had equalised midway into the half but Cian Kelly popped up to save the day and take the shot off the  goal line.

Pat’s had another close call on the hour when Doran met a Robbie Mahon cross only this time it was Kian Corbally they could thank for clearing the danger.

Bohs lost Cian Byrne with less than 15 minutes remaining after he picked up a second yellow card and shortly after the home side scored a second goal to seal the win.

Darragh Burns delivered a high free kick from the right flank for Cian Kelly to rise above the Bohs defenders and head home at the far post. 
Pat’s will now face Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds in the semi final after the Co Wicklow side ran out comfortable winners in a rather one sided home quarter final tie over Derry City.  

First half goals from Ollie Matthews, Andrew Moran and Ryan Bowen had the Wanderers well in command.

Despite Evan McLoughlin striking the Bray cross bar as Derry mustered  a second half response that was as good as it got for the Foylesiders.
Bray coasted through the rest of the half and a late Darragh Lynch penalty then completed the rout.  


(Quarter Finals)

 Bray Wanderers 4 (Ollie Matthews, Andrew Moran, Ryan Bowen, Darragh Lynch pen) Derry City 0
 Kerry League 4 (Colin Walsh 2, Daniel Okwute, Cian Brosnan) Galway United 1 (Oleg Vysochan)
 Shamrock Rvers 2 (Conan Noonan, Jan Brozowski) Cork City 3 (Luke Desmond, David Cremin, Rob Walsh) aet
 St Patrick’s Athletic 2 (Darragh Burns, Cian Kelly) Bohemians 0.

Semi Final Draw
 Bray Wanderers v St Patrick’s Athletic
 Kerry League v Cork City
Dates and kick off time TBC

Related posts

Ireland Under-17s start qualification with 6-0 win over Andorra

Eamon Scott

Hat-trick for Shamrock ace Small

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott