Striker Online
CARLOW LEAGUELatest News Homepage

Hanover second-half fightback secures final outing against St Patrick’s Boys

By Harry Shorthose

Hanover Harps 2 Slaney Rovers 1

Douglas Jewellers Carlow Cup Semi-Final

Hanover came from behind to secure their place in the final of the Carlow Cup on Wednesday night. Two second half strikes from Simon O’Shea and Dylan Walsh secured them a place in the showpiece event in a couple of weeks against St. Pat’s and dash Slaney’s hopes of a treble.

It was a very even first half with both teams being reduced to half chances for the most part as they cancelled each other out. The first real chance of the game fell to Hanover thirteen minutes in as Stephen Charlton found his shot from the right cleared away by the Slaney ‘keeper. Slaney fought back two minutes later as Joe Thompson broke down the right and curled a shot just past the far corner with the assistant’s flag staying down

Seventeen minutes in, Dylan Walsh’s shot from the right was cleared away only into the path of Sean Kavanagh on the left who could only steer his effort over the bar. As the half hour mark approached, Slaney took the lead through Seanie Furlong who got onto the end of a free kick.

They should have doubled their advantage seven minutes after when Furlong did well to get onto the ball and beat his marker to get into a 1 on 1 position with Anto McGrath in the Hanover goal only to hit his shot wide. Four minutes from the break, Simon O’Shea got his head onto the end of a cross from the left but couldn’t control it.

Hanover came out a different team in the second half and dominated possession, full of intensity. On the hour mark, Furlong found himself through on goal and only for a last gasp tackle from Kavanagh he would have scored. Two minutes later, down the other end, Ben Dorgan’s shot from the right rebounded off the crossbar into the path of Simon O’Shea at the back post who equalised.

Twenty minutes from time, Kavanagh headed wide from Alan Shaw’s free from the right. With eleven minutes left in the game, Fergal Harmon in the Slaney goal spilled Jason Murphy’s shot into the back of the net to give Hanover the lead in a strange turn of events. Five minutes from time, Kavanagh went close with an effort that was cleared off the line. Hanover hung on to claim their place in the finale.


Hanover Harps: Anthony McGrath, Jason Murphy, Stephan Charlton, Sean Kavanagh, Niall Swan, Phil Neenan, Simon O’Shea, Cathal Coughlan, Ben Dorgan, Dylan Walsh, Alan Shaw. Subs: Chris Fingleton, Patrick Dowling.

Slaney Rovers: Fergal Harmon, Mike Foley, Paddy Farrell, Shane Murphy, Regan Murphy, Eoin Curran, Aaron Broughall, Conor O’Brien, Dan O’Brien, Seanie Furlong, Joe Thompson. Subs: Kyle Lawlor, Paul Curran, Dermot Byrne, Kian Brennan, Eoin Curran, Dominic Byrne.

Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott