Striker Online
Latest News HomepageWICKLOW LEAGUE

Glens end Newtown reign as they earn back-to- back cup final appearances


Having taken 43 years to reach their first Wicklow Cup final, Glencormac have made it back there just 12 months later.

And ended Newtown’s reign as holders in the process.

Going in at the break 1-0 down, the Kilmac side put in a stunning second half display which sparked a comeback to claim a deserved 3-1 victory at the Vartry Grounds in Roundwood on Sunday afternoon.

This was the fifth meeting of the sides in all competitions this season, with the Magpies having won the previous four.

This one was different.

The young Glen’s were up for it. They threw their bodies on the line, made blocks. And attacked with vigour.

In comparison, Newtown looked tired. Afterall, they were attempting to reach the final of all three major Cup competitions in the Garden County for a remarkable fourth year in a row.

The recently crowned Charlie Bishop Cup winners’ score in the 12th minute was a thing of beauty.

Kenneth Turner’s long punt wide right was brilliantly laid off by current Wicklow League young player of the year Dillon Carthy with a lobbed pass. It dropped perfectly for Aaron Byrne to delightfully volley a lob from 20-yards over a stranded Craig Williams.

But the Glens never gave up with their young side showing battle beyond their years.

They restored parity in the 55th minute. From a cross in the from right, it bounced around the box before falling to 2018 Pat O’Toole player of the year Nathan Watters. His half volley from outside the box bobbled low into the left corner of the net.

On 70 minutes, the Kilmac outfit turned the Semi Final tie on its head.

Watters chased down another Williams long ball don the left channel. His end-line delivery picked out the unmarked Simon Doyle who nodded in at the back post.

Newtown had the chance to force extra time three minutes into stoppage time. Shane Doyle nudged his header up and over Williams. But the ball dropped agonisingly wide of the open goal.

With the defending champions pushing players forward, they were caught on the break in the 95th minute. Sub Luke Reynolds slipped fellow reserve James Delahunty clear to angle his low effort past Turner.

GLENCORMAC UNITED: Craig Williams; Evan van der Berg, Cian McGoldrick, Luke O’Callaghan, Mark Delahunty; Dean McCormack, Ben O’Callaghan, Nathan Watters, Sam O’Callaghan; Simon Doyle, Josh O’Callaghan. SUBS: Luke Reynolds (for McCormack half time), James Delahunty (for Mark Delahunty 82 mins), Stephen Kirwan, Gabor Radoczy (not used)

NEWTOWN UNITED A: Kenneth Turner; Brandon Feely, Glenn Carthy, Ross Davis, Neilly Martin; Dillion Carthy, Sean Heffernan, Evan Moran, Karl Carthy; Aaron Byrne, Shane Doyle. SUBS: Dean Odlum (for Karl Carthy 67 mins), Luke Martin (for Neilly Martin 82 mins), Martin Williams (for Dillon Carthy 90 mins), Barry Davis, Sean Odlum, Lee Fitzpatrick (all not used).

REFEREE: Michael Kennedy. ASSISTANTS: Dominique Lachaussée, Seamus Byrne.


Related posts


Eamon Scott

Behind the scenes | A look at Ireland’s next generation

Eamon Scott

FAI Junior Cup arbitration process is reschedule for Thursday, May 2

Eamon Scott