Striker Online
All Fixtures HomepageLatest News HomepageSLIGO LEITRIM LEAGUE

Gallagher strike puts the gloss on Cartron’s success over Cliffoney

Cartron United welcomed North Sligo side Cliffoney Celtic to the Ray Mac Sharry complex for their encounter in the Southern Hotel Sligo Super League.

Cartron knew that a win would put them top of the leader board made no mistake with a clinical display, Cartron were rock solid at the back keeping a tight rein on the Cliffoney Celtic attacking pack and four minutes from half time Michael Harte struck the opener for Cartron.


The second half seen Cliffoney Celtic go all out for that elusive equaliser but the game was put to bed on sixty minutes with Donal Gallagher hitting a beauty of an effort into the back of the Cliffoney net that insured a massive three points for the league leaders Cartron United.

Aughanagh Celtic missed out on taking over second spot on the leader board going down at home by the odd goal in three to the ever-improving Manor Rangers. The first half was a scoreless affair but things changed dramatically early in the second half with Robert Cunningham netting the opener for Manor Rangers.

Aughanagh Celtic rallied and were rewarded fourteen minutes from time when Conor Deering rifled home the equaliser. It was now all to play for and both sides went for the jugular and it was Manor who found the way through with a brilliant induvial effort eight minutes from time seen Robert Cunningham score a glorious winner for the Leitrim hitmen.

 The Boys from Ballisodare hosted Glenview Stars for this Super League clash and what a game it proved to be. Ballisodare United hitting a purple patch  between the twentieth and thirty fifth minute with a goal each from Gary Anderson, Rian Gorman and Darragh Healy that left them three goals to the good at the break.

Glenview Stars despite the setback were quick out of the blocks and had a goal back seven minutes into the second half when Cole Cawley fired home for Stars.

Ballisodare however quickly resumed control and on sixty-seven minutes order was restored when Rian Gorman netted his second goal and the fourth and final goal for the Boys from Ballisodare. This was a great game of football both sides with a lot of young players and a credit to both clubs.

MCR got back on the winning trail at Sean Fallon Park, Cranmore winning by the odd goal in three at home to St Johns. MCR were two goals up at the break thanks to the lethal finishing of Junior International Keith Nibbs scoring his first goal on twenty minutes and his second two minutes later.

St Johns came back into the game one minute into the second half when Ryan Healy smashed home a superb goal and now it was all to play for. St Johns fired everything into the attack but the backline of MCR with goalkeeper Tony Clarke could not be breached and thanks to Nibber MCR took all three points in a cracker of a game.

Merville United made the short trip to the seaside where they were pitted against Strand Celtic two teams bursting with young talent it had all the ingredients for a fast and open game which it proved to be in a seven-goal thriller.

Donagh Crowne had the ball in the back of the Strand Celtic after just one minute. Strand Celtic having recovered from the initial shock hit back on thirty-five minutes when Conor Mc Keon equalised. Merville then hit the front a minute from the break when once again Donagh Crowne was on hand to finish.

Strand Celtic were back on terms five minutes into the second half Conor Mc Keon again hitting the onion bag and then sixteen minutes from time a bullet of a header from Ben Spellman gave Strand Celtic the lead for the first time and it looked enough to win the game.

It was a late, late show from Merville Daniel Kilcullen hitting the equaliser a minute from time and more to come as in injury time David Lynch reacted quickly when the ball ran loose in the Strand Celtic six yard box he was on hand to tap the ball into the back of the Strand Celtic net and take all three points for a jubilant Merville United.

Real Tubber lead the pack on goal difference in the Sligo Pallets Premier League. They made the journey to Danny Mc Ginley Memorial Park in the heart of the Yeats Country a profitable one. Yeats United held Real Tubber at bay until the sixty first minute when Brian Morahan opened the account for Real Tubber and a goal each from Jason Perry and Jason Dwyer sealed a fine victory for Real Tubber.

The Riverstown Boys, Arrow Harps were at home to Coolaney United and the visitors took the lead on twenty-five minutes with a fine goal from Michael Mulvey. Arrow Harps drew level just before the break with a fine effort from Niall Whelan.

The second was nip and tuck until the sixty fifth minute when Luke Flynn gave Arrow Harps the lead and just on the stroke of full-time young Cian Kilcoyne flashed home the third goal that insured all three points for Arrow Harps.

 Ballymote Celtic inflicted the first league defeat of the season at home in Brother Wilfrid Park to visitors Calry Bohs. Calry Bohs took the lead on ten minutes with a David Devaney goal, Ballymote Celtic were level five minutes later when Mark Irwin fired home. Then Ballymote Celtic took control with a goal each from Zack O Dowd and Mattie Drew all before half time.

The second half seen both sides battle hard for supremacy but Ballymote Celtic were rock solid and Calry then had two players dismissed by referee Stephen Fallon, Conor Griffin and Joe Kilcullen that did little to help the Calry Bohs fightback then on ninety minutes Jack Lavin put the cherry on the cake with a fabulous lobbed effort that sailed into the Calry Bohs net. A great win here for Ballymote Celtic while Calry Bohs will rue the sending off’s and need to address a few matters.

The game between Gurteen Celtic and Chaffpool United was a bottom of the table clash but someone forgot to tell the teams. This was a fantastic game of football with both sides looking for a first league win it was an all-out attacking encounter that seen a seven-goal bonanza that eventually would record the first league win for the Pool. Ross O Dowd netted for Gurteen Celtic with Paul Connolly striking twice for the Pool all in the first half.

The Pool scored twice more courtesy of a double strike from Joe Perry, with Ross O Dowd netting his second goal of the game and David Shepard adding the third for massively improving Gurteen Celtic. However the day and the points all belong to a delighted Chaffpool United.

Best Wishes:

The league committee and all affiliates send out best wishes to one of the great servants of the game Brendan Lowry. Brendan had a recent health setback and now Thank God, is back on the road to full recovery. Brendan has an amazing career in our league, and has always been there to assist everyone in anyway he could. He is brilliant example to all young players and we look forward to having Brendan back in full flight soon.

Looking for Help:

Colleagues Sligo Rovers have very kindly allowed us to do a bucket collection at next Saturday nights game v Derry City. All monies collected go directly to the Dialysis Unit at Sligo University Hospital. I need volunteers at the Showgrounds to collect from 6.15pm to start of the game, and then at half time. Please contact me (Noel M Kennedy) on 0872586003 All support welcome.

Fixtures Update:

FAI Junior Cup on next Sunday so some changes to local domestic fixtures.

Sunday 27th October Bank Holiday weekend Connacht Cup fixtures Only:

Sunday 3rd November Closed Day as per instructions of the Football Association of Ireland.

 The Extra.ie FAI Senior Cup and the Só Hotels FAI Women’s Senior Cup will take place at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday 3rd November, 2019.

This is a key date in the domestic football calendar. Accordingly, the FAI Board of Management have designated 03 November as a closed ay for all football under the jurisdiction of the Football Association of Ireland.

 This initiative is intended to allow members of the football family from all over the country the opportunity to attend the finals and all leagues are requested not to arrange fixtures on this date.

The above should allow all clubs to plan any events and please note no postponements will be entertained from the 3rd November till close of fixture’s after the 14th December.


Red Cards issued today see’s an Automatic One Match Suspension for the players in their next league game fined €30 payable within 7 days to League Treasurer Robert Kennedy 69 Cloondara Ballisodare Co. Sligo.

Conor Griffin Calry Bohemians suspended for his next Three (3) League fixture fined €30 and severely cautioned as to his future conduct. (Straight Red & Abusive Language to Match Official)

Joe Kilcullen Calry Bohemians suspended for his next Two (2) League fixture fined €30 and severely cautioned as to his future conduct. (Foul & Abusive Language)

Following the referees match report fines and suspensions may be increased.

Sunday 13th Oct

Sligo Southern Hotel Super League

Cartron Utd 2 – 0 Cliffoney Celtic  
MCR FC 2 – 1 St Johns FC  
Strand Celtic FC 3 – 4 Merville Utd  
Aughanagh Celtic 1 – 2 Manor Rangers  
Ballisodare Utd 4 – 1 Glenview Stars.  

Strand Celtic fined €50 No Result

Sligo Pallets Premier League

Gurteen Celtic 3 – 4 Chaffpool Utd
Carrick Town P Ballygawley Celtic FC
Ballymote Celtic 4 – 1 Calry Bohs  
Arrow Harps 3 – 1 Coolaney Utd  
Yeats Utd 0 – 3 Real Tubber  

Fixtures Sunday 27th Oct KO 12pm

CFA TP Brennan Cup 2nd Round KO 2pm

9 Gurteen Celtic v Conn Rangers TBC
10 Cloonfad Utd v Ballymote Celtic TBC
14 Carrick Town v Coolaney Utd TBC
19 Calry Bohs v Merlin/Medtronic TBC

All Cup games decided on the day if still a draw after full time plus one period of extra time (10 minutes e/w) FIFA Rules on Penalty’s to apply. Any Club/Team forfeiting a fixture will be removed from the competition and disciplinary action will follow. Super League and Premier League teams enter at Round 3.


All results by 1.30pm after game to 087 1417566 Home team responsible for calling in match result with all scorers. Where a ground is deemed unplayable the home team can if possible, provide another approved venue otherwise the game must revert to the opponent’s ground. Where both grounds are unplayable the two teams concerned can agree fixture for approved Astro if available, and split the costs 50/50. Home Team responsible to provide at least Four (4) Match Balls for all Home fixtures. In Frank Kennedy Cup Final after expenses gate receipts are split 50/50 with both clubs. All Cup games decided on the day if still a draw after 90 minutes plus one period of E/T (10mins E/W) FIFA Rules on penalty’s to decide.

Related posts

NECSL Fixtures

Eamon Scott

Wexford Football League Fixtures

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott