Striker Online


McDonnell treble fires Tolka past Regional into last eight of FAI Junior

A Joey McDonnell hat-trick fired Major Saturday LSL Tolka Rovers in the quarter-finals with an extratime winner away to Regional United in Limerick.

An excellent road result for the Cooke Park side who along with Oliver Bond Celtic are the two remaining Dublin (LSL) sides left in the fabled competition – which of course this year is celebrating its’ centenary. . 

 Waterford’s Hibernian recorded a 2-1 win over Crumlin United at Pearse Park on Saturday. Jordan O’Neill was on the mark to give the LSL side the lead.

But a beautifully executed free kick from Luke Kiely levelled the match on 25 minutes.

Both teams had half chances as the half time whistle approached but Hibernians FC raced out of the blocks for the second half and took the lead on 55 minutes when Alex Phelan thumped a header past the Crumlin goalkeeper from a Glenn Hawe corner. 

Down in Waterford at Connors Park Villa FC beat Junior Cup specialists St. Michaels 4-2 to make it through to the last eight of this year’s competition.

John Frederick Tahesi gave the home side the lead on 27 minutes and Cian Browne added a second on 52 minutes. Eoghan Rea made it 3-0 on 65 minutes before Paul Breen pulled a goal back on 71minutes for St Michael’s.  

John Frederick Tahesi made it 4-1 on 81 minutes before Rhys Byron netted a second for the Saints, but it was too little too late.

Galway Football Association side Salthill Devon travelled to Limerick and scored a massive 4-1 penalty shoot out win over Fairview Rangers after the sides had finished deadlocked.

Former winners North End United entertained Clare District League side Avenue United with the match eventually going to penalties with the Wexfordmen winning through after the sides finished level at 2-2 after extratime.

With the demise of Regional and Fairview Rangers, Pike Rovers are the sole Limerick club let in the competition after they accounted for Ballinasloe Town on a two-nil scoreline at Pike Rovers grounds on Sunday.

 In a tight first half  the home side were grateful for a tremendous save from netminder Gary Neville to keep his goal intact against a well organised and disciplined visiting side. 

After the break Pike upped the tempo and got their reward in the 55th minute when Wayne O’Donovan’s corner kick was flicked on by Eoin Hanrahan and Aaron Murphy arrived on cue to finish to the net.

Five minutes later Pike were rocked back on their heels when the visitors were awarded a penalty but they squandered the chance, firing over the top.

Pike grabbed the insurance  goal after 75 minutes when Williams played top scorer Conor Lyng free and the former Ballinasloe player broke his old team mates’ hearts by rounding the keeper to fire home.

Matthew McKevitt with a brace and single from Mikey Ryan, Pippy Carroll, Sean Wade and Ronan McGuire saw Tipperary’s Peake Villa record the biggest result of the last 16 round when they accounted for Freebooter AFC of Kilkenny.

The Eight quarter finalists for Wednesday’s draw are: Oliver Bond Celtic, Tolka Rovers (LSL), North End United (Wexford Football League), Salthill Devon (Galway Football Association), Pike Rovers (Limerick District League), Peake Villa (Tipperary Southern District League), Hibernians FC, Villa FC (Waterford Junior League)

Related posts

Massive win for Carbury as they topple leaders Cartron

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott