Striker Online

Dunne’s double helps St Peters set-up Premier League decider with Castlerea

Sunday 8th March 2020

The Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League will be decided next weekend when  St Peters take on leaders Castlerea Celtic at Athlone.

St Peters travelled to Kilkerrin where they beat the home side 2 – 0 in a very compeditive game.


Kevin Dunne scored both goals for St Peters. When the teams play at McCarthy Park at 2.00 pm next Sunday they must beat Castlerea Celtic to retain the Premier Division Championship. What a game this promises to be.

Congratulations are extended to tthe Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic who are the newly crowned Division 2 Champions with two games left to play in this Division.. Despite having a rare 3 – 0 defeat  at home to Ballinasloe Town their nearest challengers Manor United needed to win to stay in the title race  and they could only draw away to Boyle Celtic.

James Kinsella Guillherne Araujo and David McDonnell scored for Ballinasloe Town who are a point behind second placed Manor United with three games left to play.

Three of the second round games in the Joe’s Bar sponsored Roscommon and District League Challenge Cup were played las weekend. Premier Division side St Johns Athletic travelled to Division 1 side Cloonfad United. In a game full of incident Cloonfad United came out on top following extra time and a penalty shoot out.

Jamie Kiernan gave St Johns a 1 – 0 lead after only fourty seconds and Tommy Hurley had them 2 – 0 up with four minutes played. Ger Fagan pulled a goal back for Cloonfad United two minutes before half time and the same player got an equaliser five minutes before half-time  4 -2.

The losers had a player sent off near the end of normal time and relied on some good saves by their keeper Sean Coyle to keep them in the game near the end but they also missed a great chance to win the game near the end. In the penalty shoot out Cloonfad United won on a 4 -2 scoreline.

Premier Division side Skyvalley Rovers beat Division 1 leaders Dysart  5 – 3 at Onagh park Taughmaconnell to also advance to round three. A heavy pitch made attractive football difficult but overall there was no lack of commitment from either teams. The home side got off to a good start and were 2 – 0 up after fifteen minutes. David Grehan scored both goals. Dysart fought back and Darragh Sheehy struck twice to level the game on the half hour.

 David Grehan completed his hat trick and Callum O Brien scored from the spot after Brian Croffey was taken down in the penalty area to give Skyvalley Rovers a 4 – 2 half time lead.

 Some good saves fron Nigel Kelly kept Dysart in the game and they pulled a goal back with twelve minutes left to play with Darragh Sheehy completing  his hat-trick. Just when it looked like Dysart would level the game Callum O’Brien set up David Grehan who won a penalty kick and Callum O Brien scored from the penalty spot.

Last seasons beaten finalists Moore United were drawn against their second side. The second side were level at the break but Steve Flynn and Josh Lennon scored within twenty minutes of the restart and Andy Nevin added a third with Mike Carty pulling a goal back for the loosers.

Castlerea Celtic advanced to the Simi-Finals of the Hanly Quarries Premier Division Cup following their 3 – 0 win over Boyle Celtic at Boyle. They have a home game against the winners of the Moore United v Kilkerrin United game. The sides were level at half time but within a ten minutes spell Castlerea Celtic scored three.

With sixty eight played free kick specialist Jack Higgins broke the deadlock. Three minutes later Darren Clabby added a second and Ronan Curran added their third from the penalty spot with twelve minutes left to play.

In the only game played in Division 1 Dunmore Town eased their relegation worries with a 3 – 0 win over Cam Celtic at Dunmore. Brendan Forde James Maloney and Shane Mc Grath scored their goals.

Manor United drew 3 – 3 away to Boyle Celtic Manor came from behind on two ocasions before taking a 3 – 2 lead in the second half. Boyle Celtic got an equaliser near the end.

Dermott Beggan scored two and Colin Goldrick one for the home side and Louis Galvin scored two and leading goalscorer Tom Ward one for Manor United.

Ballymoe F C beat bottom side St. Cuans 7 – 1 at Ballymoe and they are in with a good chance of winning the Division 2 shield. Dan Malone and Stephen Moclair scored three each  and Jason Tarmey one for the winners with Pat Mongan replying for the Castleblaikney side.

St Johns Athletic beat Roscommon United 5 – 1 at Roscommon. Jordan Kennedy Charlie O Beirne James Tiernan M J O’ Connor and Cian Kelly scored for the Lecarrow side with Mike Lannon pulling a goal back for the losers.

Related posts


Eamon Scott

QUIZ 10 – Tuesday Test – here’s another 10 questions to get stuck into!

Eamon Scott

Eamon Scott