Striker Online

Dublin Airport FC soar past Yellowstone to give promotion hopes a deserved lift-off!



EXCELLENT entertainment on offer on the main pitch at ALSAA on Sunday morning as Dublin Airport FC came out tops in a game against Yellowstone Celtic that was laced with some exciting football from both sides.

 In blustery conditions credit to both sides for their desire to get the ball down and play constructive football in their Major 1 Sunday clash where the division is sponsored by Shanlar Limited. 


The game featured six-goals, three penalties and a red card but was never dirty and was played in a very sporting manner by two sides who simply wanted to play football at all times.

The game was sensibly refereed by Dylan Armstrong and he simply applied the laws as the game ran its’ course. 


It was the home side who carved out the opening opportunity when the tricky Ryan Harris set Callum Murphy in on goal but his rising shot cleared the bar as Celtic complained looking for an offside call.

 But Yellowstone were soon celebrating as they opened the scoring with a goal of simplicity but of stunning execution.

The match was stopped in the 10th minute as Yellowstone Celtic’s full-back James Lambe required attention for a tight hamstring. The match restarted with a throw in for Yellowstone and Sam Gribben raced clear down the right flank and his pullback was met by the inrushing Jake Kelly who connected with a sweet strike to drill an angled rasper back across Akash Choolun in the home goal to nestle in the back of the net.

 It was an excellent finish but Dublin Airport FC hit back and Callum Murphy had a chance when he got clear only for Carl Murray to get back to do enough to put him off his shot and it cleared the crossbar. 

On 23 minutes Dublin Airport FC forced a corner and Yellowstone managed to clear but only as far as Ben O’Hara and his recycled deft cross to the back post was met by opposite full-back Dean Murray who gleefully finished underneath the out-rushing Yellowstone netminder Ryan Lambe. 

Dublin Airport were facing into a strong wind and it rocked Yellostone to concede but a sublime piece of skill by Messiah Chirwa then turned the match on its head as he showed great control and technique to turn Mark Long at the end of the penalty box  and then get his shot away to give the home side the lead on 34 minutes for what was the best goal of the game.

 Yellowstone manager Johnny McLaren postmatch  bemoaned some naive defending but he had a serious let-off when Dublin Airport were awarded a penalty for a push in the back in the 44th minute. With his back to goal and no imminent danger Callum Murray was felled by Carl Murray which earned him a yellow card but Ryan Lambe read Ryan Harris’ spot kick diving to his right to block the spot kick.

The elements favoured Dublin Airport for the second period but Yellowstone’s neat play and footwork saw them gain more and more possession.

Jake Maloney and Sam Gribben were seeing more of the ball and Dublin Airport had to defend with all their might. ‘ Ben O’Hara and Thomas Carthy were impressive while Murphy and Wiggins offered ‘outs’ with their close control and feet wizardry.

 Somewhat against the run of play Dublin Airport FC netted a third in the 70th minute when a recycled corner fell to Callum Murray and he smashed a shot high to the back of the Yellowstone net from 25 yards out. 

You still felt that Yellowstone would score despite the home side’s stellar defending as the visitors saw more and more of the ball and Yellowstone built up an impressive ‘ head of steam’.

 Substitute Keith Bradley made an impressive impact off the bench and his pace and trickery caused problems for the home side and they breathed a sigh of relief when his shot blazed over Akash Choolun’s crossbar.

 Then a big moment in the game arrived on 76 minutes with Yellowstone awarded a penalty which saw Dublin Airport reduced to 10-men. Sam Gribben sent Coolun the wrong way and with a solid 15 minutes left and a man spare Yellowstone were definitely in the ascendancy. 

Yellowstone Celtic net their second goal from the penalty spot

In fairness to the 10-men of Dublin Airport they were heroic in their defending while Murray up front tried his best to run the clock down by heading for the corner flag. It worked to a degree and Dublin Airport FC tried desperately to clear their lines and keep the rampant Yellowstone men at bay. 

Then on 83 minutes, Dublin Airport won possession through goalkeeper Choolun. He chose to go long and with the assistance of the wind the ‘route-one’ ball broke at the edge of the Yellowstone penalty area.

Callum Murray got a touch to move into the penalty box and he was immediately upended as he was about to shoot. Keith Wiggins kept his nerve to slot past Lambe who guessed right but was beaten by the accuracy and pace of the spot kick. 

From there to the finish Dublin Airport FC sat in and defended their advantage and in the end their victory was deseved and three points that will help in their push up the table towards the promotion spots in this competitive league which is currently led by Montpelier FC.

Yellowstone Celtic will dust themselves down and go again. On another day it could have been their points but Dublin Airport FC were full value in taking the three points on offer on this occasion.  

DUBLIN AIRPORT FC: Akash Choolun; Dean Murray, Ben O’Hara, Thomas Carthy, John Duggan, Aboue Balogun, Keith Wiggins, Christy Kavanagh, Callum Murphy, Messiah Chirwa, Ryan Harris. Subs: Stephen Hanna, Noel Downey, Dean Peters, Jack O’Reilly. 

YELLOWSTONE CELTIC: Ryan Lambe; Aaron McIntyre, James Lambe, Mark Long, Carl Murray, Jake Maloney, Sam Gribben, Gavin Doyle, Dillan Kelly, Jake Kelly, Alan Bergin. Subs: Sean Allen, Ciaran Fullam, Keith Bradley, Veselin Yordanov, Chris Hennessy, James Hennessy, Anthony Glennon.

 Referee: Dylan Armstrong. 

Related posts


Eamon Scott

SAFIB Bob Docherty Cup | Under 15 Girls’ International Tournament

Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott