Striker Online
Connacht FAFAI NewsLatest News HomepageSLIGO LEITRIM LEAGUE

Carbury on fire to retain Frank Kennedy Memorial Cup trophy

Carbury FC……. 4        Cartron Utd……. 0

The Frank Kennedy Memorial Cup Final was played at the Ray Mac Sharry Park on Tuesday night between last season’s Sligo Southern Hotel Super League Winners Carbury FC and Sligo Pallets Premier League winners Cartron United.

Both sides with some new names and Carbury already up and running having beaten Westport United the previous Sunday to cement their place in the Connacht Summa Cup Final were red hot favourite’s.

Cartron like Carbury had a massive season also going undefeated in their league campaign but tonight’s game would be a measure perhaps, of just how far they have come, or to go.

Both sides set out to attack from the first whistle and the game was evenly balanced until the thirty second minute when eagle eyed Ryan Mc Manus spotted Cartron net minder Stephen Mc Cormack well of his and from all of thirty yards Mc Manus lobbed the ball into the Cartron United net.

Despite this setback Cartron continued to attack with John Harte leading the front line ably assisted by Enda Mc Gowan and Ryan Lynch. Cartron were now well in the game but when they did manage to break down the Carbury rear-guard they found Mark Rooney in great form in the Carbury goals. Carbury’s backline was on overtime with Gerry Brennan, Arron Murrin Colum Jinks and Ben Traynor in top form.

The second half was a lively affair with both midfields having a battle royal Ross Mc Loughlin the engine room for Carbury with Niall Brennan and Brian Kavanagh all looking for openings to feed Ryan Mc Manus Gareth Kelly and Gary Armstrong. Cartron responded with the same intense vigour Liam Touhy Donal Gallagher and Colin Feehily working like trojans backed up by Nathan Hargadon Stephen Crossan Jake Hargadon and Billy Brennan it was all nip and tuck.

Seventeen minutes into the second half great work by Gary Armstrong crossing the ball from the left Ryan Mc Manus seen his attempt blocked but Mc Manus took the rebound and, on the volley, cracked home goal number two Carbury were now in control. Two minutes later and Ryan M Manus returned the complement with a neat step over he allowed the ball fall to the incoming express namely Gary Armstrong and he drilled the ball into the Cartron net.

Pressure now on Cartron while Cranbury could take a breather and see the game out. But the breather was not required again Gary Armstrong the play maker finding Ross Mc Loughlin who from twenty-five yards out curled the ball into the top right-hand corner of the Cartron goal – four nil and flying.

Cartron with skipper John Harte driving on his team will feel a bit hard done by in the end they had the better of the first half but Carbury retain the trophy with clinical finishing from a very talented and creative team that are still the team to beat and will be in the hunt for all the major honours this season. Cartron despite losing this curtain raiser will have taken a lot of positives from this game.

They were well in the hunt after forty five minutes, no other team in the Super League has the fire power of Carbury and Cartron with a tightening up in some departments will be a major force this season as well.

Carbury FC: M Rooney G Brennan A Murrin C Jinks© B Traynor R Mc Loughlin N Brennan B Kavanagh R Mc Manus G Kelly G Armstrong H Sholala D Adams K Crawley K Kennedy A Mc Loughlin.

Cartron Utd: S Mc Cormack N Hargadon J Hargadon S Crossan B Brennan L Touhy D Gallagher C Feehily John Harte © R Lynch W Mc Gowan K Loftus D Walsh D Benson D Monaghan R Callaghan.

Referee Paul Kilcoyne Assistants Owen Mc Loughlin Tomas Oates.

Related posts


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott


Eamon Scott